Friday, February 17, 2012

Nail Fun-Ombre Effect

So I know I'm kinda late, which I am on a lot of things, but I wanted to try the ombre effect on my nails. It looks really interesting yet subtle enough that it doesn't scream look at me! i'm distracting! I figured I'd give it a go and I'm pretty satisfied with my first try. I took some pictures along the way in hopes to show you guys how to achieve the same effect. Enjoy!

step 1.


Paint your nails with a base coat. I did two layers to increase the opacity but it depends on the density of your polish.

step 2.


Use a darker shade to make a french tip. If you're going for a more subtle effect, use a shade closer to the base color.

step 3.


For this step you will need a sponge ( I used a cosmetic wedge) and a disposable place to put the drops of nail polish on (I used a napkin). Pour a few drops of the nail polish you used for the tip onto the napkin. Then lightly press the sponge on the polish. Wipe the excess polish off (you don't want a lot of polish on the wedge). Then gently press the sponge onto the nail close to the root while leaving some of the base color visible. You want to do it lightly so that it is barely visible. Your goal is to gradually work from the barely visible shade to the the dark shade on the tip (in this case black). You don't want to be able to see the line of the original tip you made. So keep on lightly dipping and pressing the nail polish on your nails until you get the effect you want. Finish off with a clear top coat.



Yay!

I used the following nail polishes: sinful colors 'black on black", confetti "moonstruck", and a clear base/top coat.



* I got a sort of rough texture on my nails, which I like since playing with texture is going to be big this year. If you want a more smoother finish I would suggest applying the sponge very gently and slowly.


No comments:

Post a Comment