Saturday, February 4, 2012

Tribute Post

I was inspired by the "I Love My..." series on Refinery29 to write a tribute post to my favorite sneakers, which I had to throw away yesterday. While it may not seem too important-the whole discarding of worn shoes- I had a special bond with these creations. I wrote an entry in my journal last night about them right before I had to bid them farewell and decided to share :P

"Today was a sad day. I got rid of my keds. One might ask how one can be so attached to a pair of canvas sneakers dyed red but that wouldn't be the right question. The question is why?
I got my keds last year in March for my birthday while in search for new shoes, since my current ones then were running low on both fuel and sole. I remember walking into a local skate-shop and spotting the vibrant sirens, like red flags begging for attention. I asked for my size, tried them on and as they say the rest is history.
My keds have seen rain, snow, and sunshine, hiked through mud and beat the gray pavement-they've been everywhere (which isn't too hard when you're worn at least every other day). Those shoes have seen me at my best and at my worst. When I had the opportunity to lay in the grass, basking in the sun and feeling content with my life and all those around me (a rare occurrence lol) and when I walked down the streets in my neighborhood attempting to let off steam after an intense argument with my family. They've always been ready to slip on, comfortable and added a much needed dose of character.
... my keds were a good pair. Heck! a good friend (am I bordering crazy yet?) Even with holes in both the heels and the flopping bits of sole they managed to be the best looking pair of sneaks out there. So I took a picture of them to remember them long after they left my care. Thanks guys, we had an awesome time together :)"


Indeed I even let out a sniffle when I placed them in the trash
:(

No comments:

Post a Comment